+ Why is it important to buy or build a green?
+ What defines a green built home or project?
+ Is a green home more expensive?
+ Who builds green in New Mexico and where?
+ Why is building efficiently catching on?
+ Are there any drawbacks to building green?
+ How do I retrofit an existing home green?
Search Green Companies
Browse Green Companies
BGNM Certification Process
Build Green NM has adopted the 2012 ICC-700 National Green Building Standard (NGBS). After May 1st 2013, all projects must be registered and certified under this new standard. Projects registered before May 1st may be certified under either the 2008 NGBS or the 2012 NGBS.
I. Score Your Project
The first step to building green is to score your project. Below you will find the link to download the 2012 Build Green NM Scoring Tool/Designers Report/Verification Report. This is a multipage spreadsheet and by scoring your project you will have an idea of what level your project may achieve. Our program base is the 2012 ICC-700 National Green Building Standard.
II. Hire a HERS Rater/Green Verifier
Here is a link to help you find a Green Verifier in your area. Almost all Green Verifiers are also HERS raters. This person will act as an independent 3rd party to evaluate your plans, test and verify the practices that you have claimed in the scoring tool and submit the verification report to Build Green NM along with other required documentation for certification. These will be hired under separate contract by the builder. This person will be a great asset for the success of your project. Click here, then select New Mexico.
A project must be registered before framing is complete. This is done online through www.CertifiedGreenNM.org, an eCommerce website. You may pay by credit card through PayPal or by a mail-in check. It allows you to register up to 10 projects (addresses) at one time. The BGNM requirements must be agreed to at that time. The fee for registration is $50 per project.
Schedule your HERS Rater and Green Verifier to inspect, test and verify at the required times. This will involve several visits, usually at frame before insulation, after insulation (before drywall) and at final. Be sure that you understand the correct times for these inspections and that there may be more inspections than those mentioned above.
The builder must fill out the Certification Application (Link below) and submit the required documents from the HERS rater/Green Verifier (the rater verifier must submit this to the builder in PDF format). The correct fee must be submitted before Build Green NM will review the project for certification. Payment may also be done online through www.CertifiedGreennm.org with a credit card or mail by check. Note the turnaround for certification is about 1 week after the fee is received. Also, note that final inspection and testing maytake place before Certificate of Occupancy is issued by the code officials. However all items claimed by the builder must be In place for verification. It is preferred but not required that the documentation come from the rater/verifier to Build Green NM.
Downloads, Links to Forms, and Resources
- Link to Register and pay fees for your project including the Certification Application Fee; www.CertifiedGreenNM.org.
- Click here to purchase the 2012 National Green Building Standard.
- Find a Verifier (who is usually also a HERS Rater). Click here, then select New Mexico. Be sure to ask if they can perform both services as that will save you money.
- Download the 2012 Build Green NM Scoring Tool/Designers Report/Verification Report.
- Download the 2012 BGNM Verification Guidelines for Builders and Verifiers. This is only for use with the 2012 National Green Building Standard.
- Download the Project Certification Application for 2012 NGBS.
Archive Forms (For 2008 NGBS Only)
- 2008 NGBS BGNM Verification Guidelines for Builders and Verifiers (only for use with the 2008 National Green Building Standard)
- Project Certification Application for 2008 National Green Building Standard
- Click here for the Home Innovations Research Labs for the 2008 and 2012 Scoring Tool and Verification reports. Use this link if you are certifying under the 2008 NGBS or Dual Certifying under the 2012 NGBS. The Build Green NM Scoring Tool listed under #2 above is a unique product created specifically for Build Green NM and the 2012 NGBS.